Here is a list of the 5 best work from home jobs for seniors. Whether you are retired, unable to commute to work, or just prefer to work from home, these jobs might be better than a normal “9 to 5” job.
Top 5 Best Work From Home Jobs for Seniors
- Creating a Website/Blog
- Selling Your Own Product – eBay & Etsy
- Online Juror
- Online Tutor
What Makes These Jobs The Best?
There are many jobs that you can do from home as a senior, but some of them cost money, don’t pay enough, or just are not worth the effort. The jobs listed here are the best because they provide the best work to income ratio, as well as taking into consideration the difficulty of the job.
There are jobs like date entry and telemarketing, but these are not on the list because these jobs are very monotonous and quite frankly, difficult to do for a long period of time. Direct selling is also an option, but you will have to spend money for a starter kit and you can’t work 100% from home.
Let’s look at these 5 jobs you can do from home in more detail.
Starting a Blog / Website
Do you have things on your mind that you would love to share? Maybe you have knowledge or skills that you love teaching to others. Or how about a hobby that you love talking about? If you have something that you love doing, starting a website/blog is the perfect job for you.
You don’t need any experience or special skills to create a website nowadays. Technology makes it so easy to create a website that anyone can do it in minutes. I wrote a step-by-step guide that will take you by the hand and teach you how to build a website with ease.
Basically, you will be writing articles for your website. You want to create content that people will find useful and interesting. More content on your website will usually lead to more people visiting your website.
You can them make money by putting ads on your website or by affiliate marketing. Affiliate marketing is referring someone to a company or a product. If that person buys something, you will get a percentage of their sale. Simply put, it’s you being paid to market a company’s products or services.
Check out the “Is It Really Possible to Make Money Online?” page for more information.
- You can choose to work as little or as much as you want.
- You can share your passions or hobbies with others.
- Very inexpensive to start and maintain a website. There are even ways to build a website for free.
- Has potential to earn you enough money to make a full time income or more.
- Takes time before you start earning money, but if you keep up with it, it’s almost impossible to not make money.
- With affiliate marketing, you don’t need your own products or deal with customers. The company will take care of all the sales transaction, shipping and handling, and customer service.
- While building a website is simple, it will take time to learn the basics if you are a beginner.
- Takes time to build traffic to your website.
- If you don’t enjoy writing, creating content will be difficult.
- Might take weeks or months to start to make money (depending on how much work you put into it).
Selling Your Own Products Online
If you enjoy making homemade crafts or products, you can make money by selling them online. This gives you the opportunity to make money by enjoying your hobby.
If you don’t make your own crafts, you can make money by selling things you have at home or buy products to resell for a profit. eBay is probably the best place to do this.
For the more business minded, you could search for products that have a high demand and find places to purchase it for cheap or in bulk. You could then resell it online.
This does have some risks because you will have the buy the products, and you will never know if it will sell or not. But with the right opportunity, it is possible to make lots of money this way.
Check out the “Selling Your Own Products” page for more information.
- With homemade crafts, you can make money while enjoying your hobby.
- Selling online gives you a huge audience (millions of people) to sell you.
- Possible to make lots of money.
- You will have to take care of the shipping and handling of the orders.
- You will have to deal with your customers directly, which includes returns, refunds, and exchanges of product, as well as providing excellent customer service.
- If you buy things to resell, you could take a loss if no one buys your products.
- Sites like eBay and Etsy take a commission from your sales.
Do you have any special skills or qualifications? If you do, you might be able to get freelance work online. The jobs most in demand for online freelance work are: writing (articles, ads, etc.), computer programming, designers, translators, transcribers, and even voice actors.
There are many other types of jobs as well, so if you are interested in freelance, I would check out some of the popular websites.
Check the “Freelancing Jobs Online” page for more information.
- Work as much or as little as you want.
- Put the skills you already have to use.
- You can choose which jobs you want or don’t want to do.
- Can be difficult to find jobs due to high competition.
- Can be difficult to breakthrough and establish yourself as a top freelancer
If you have an interest in the law, or love watching all of those Judge Judy type of TV shows, being on a mock online jury might be a perfect fit for you. You will hear evidence from real cases and answer questions about it. Many lawyers like to have a “pre-trial” where they can test their case and see how they can improve it.
One case can take a few hours and can pay anywhere from $10 to $100 or more. The one big drawback to this is you have to be selected to participate. After you register with an online jury company, you will have to wait for cases. Usually, the area you live in will determine how many cases you receive. If you live in a small town with not courthouse, you may never receive a case.
If you enjoy the law and judicial system, being a part of an online jury would be a fun way to make money. However, you probably won’t make that much at all. So you look forward to hearing the cases and think of the money you make as a bonus.
Check out the “Earning Money as a Mock Juror” page for more information.
- No special skills required. Just reading and thinking about the presented evidence.
- Easy and free to sign-up.
- Must wait for cases to come. This could take days, months, or might never come at all, depending on where you live.
- When you do receive a case, you must apply quickly. The amount of participants is limited, so if you don’t act fast, you won’t get a spot.
- Income is not consistent. You don’t know when you’ll get a case, if ever.
Everyone is good at something. Why not use your knowledge and pass it on to someone who wants to learn it? You can become an online tutor and help people master a certain field of study. It could be anything from simple math to advanced physics. If you feel like you don’t know any subject well enough to teach it, guess what? You do!
You can help people learn another language. What is your native language? Since you are reading this website, you are probably fluent in English. There are many people all over the world looking to learn English. If you speak any other languages, great! People are always looking to learn a different language from their own.
- Teach skills and knowledge that you already know to help others.
- Teaching can be very rewarding.
- Might be hard to find steady jobs.
- Can be difficult to find a job as a beginner
- You need to have an area of specialization.
- Qualifications and credentials can help you find jobs
My #1 Recommendation – What I Do To Make Money Online
In my opinion, by far the best way to make money from home as a senior is with a website. You don’t need any experience or special skills. All you need is a passion or hobby, and you can make money online.
You will have to write a lot of content, but if you don’t mind sharing your passion or talents with others, this should be too much of a problem. It is the way I make money and I think it is the most legitimate, consistent, and rewarding way to make money from home.
If you keep on learning and improving, you will make money for sure. But it will take a while for you to start making money if you are just beginning. If you stick with it, you can be sure to find success.
There are also lots of resources available on the Internet. By far the best resources out there is the Wealthy Affiliate Community. It is an online community that provides step-by-step training to create a money making website/blog. The active community is there 24/7 to help you whenever you have a question.
You can check out my Wealthy Affiliate Review for more information.