Creating Pages in WordPress
Once you get your website set up, you’re ready to start building the foundation of your website.
A good website should be just like a good travel guidebook.
A well-written travel guide is organized, informative, and interesting. It focuses on a specific country or area in the world. Each chapter focuses on a different place within that area and is usually broken down into categories like restaurants, things to do, lodging, nightlife, etc.
This organization makes it easy for the reader to find what they are looking for. If the content of the guidebook provides useful information and is interesting to read, then there’s a good chance it will become a best seller.
Your website shouldn’t be any different.
Here are the qualities that your website should have:
- Informative and Helpful to Your Visitors
- Clean and Organized
- Interesting Content
1. Informative and Helpful to Your Visitors
Above all, your website should be informative. You want to give value to your visitors by providing them with information that will help them in some way. If you do this, your visitors will keep coming back to your site and you can earn their trust. This can lead to your website getting more visitors. Usually the more visitors you have, the more money you can make from you website.
If you chose to create a website about one of your passions or hobbies, you probably already know tons of information about it. Think about when you first started your passion. What kind of information were you looking for? What advice would you give to someone just starting out? Do you have better ways of doing your hobby vs. traditional methods? We’ll talk about how to choose what to write about and how you should write content in the next lesson.
2. Clean and Organized
You website should be also clean and organized so your visitors can easily find what they are looking for. If someone comes to your website without looking for anything specific, a well-organized website will make it easy for them to browse through your content. If you have a cluttered, messy website, people will leave before they even read a single word. A disorganized website can confuse your visitors, and at the very least, make them want to leave and find something better.
3. Interesting Content – Capture Your Reader’s Interest
Your website should also be interesting and entice the reader with great content . You don’t have to write works of art like Shakespeare or tell jokes like a comedian or anything like that. You can create content that is interesting for your target audience just by being informative and writing like you were speaking to a friend. We’ll learn more about how to write interesting content in the next lesson.
Creating the Layout of your Website
Today we’ll set up the navigation menu for your website. The navigation menu is one of the ways you will organize your website. The menu items you will have on your page will be the major topics you want to talk about related to your niche. Most websites have their navigation menu at the top or left side of their webpage. My menu items are at the top of my website.
- Think of a few topics related to your niche that you would like to talk about. These should be topics that can be broken down into smaller, more specific areas. Come up with 3 or 4 topics for now. You can always add topics to your navigation menu later. In step 3 of this guide, we talked about the niche, “how to lower your golf score.” For this niche, possible topics I could write about are “golf product reviews,” “tips and techniques,” “exercises for golfers,” and “selecting the right equipment.”
- Log-in to your WordPress account. Click on the “Pages” button located on the left side of the screen. The topics you just thought of are called “pages” in WordPress. These pages will become the buttons on your navigation menu that people will use to browse through your website.
- Click the “Add New” button near the top of the screen.
- Right under the words “Add New Page,” type the name of one of the topics you thought of. In my case, I would type, “Golf Product Reviews.”
- Click the “Publish” button located on the right had side of the screen to make that page go live.
- Click the “Add New” button on the left side of the screen and type your second topic in there. Publish this page too.
- Repeat the process of adding new pages until you created a page for each of your topics.
- Pat yourself on the back cause you’re done for today!
Get ready for tomorrow! We’ll learn how to create content for your website, and how to publish your work. If you have any questions or comments, leave them below and I’ll get back to you. Have awesome day!
The No-Nonsense Guide Steps